Friday, February 14, 2014

Honored

Yesterday I had the honor of doulaing my first certification birth. I'm not sure what all is appropriate to post regarding my experience (which was great!) But I did want to document what tools I used and those I didn't.

As previously shown, I made two cold packs with handles. These were great! Another friend of Mom was there and she was super helpful making sure one was in the freezer at all times.

Mom was feeling nauseas, so I put a few drops of peppermint oil on the handles of the cold packs and that helped everyone in the room! It was HOT at the birth center and the smell seemed to cool down the room.

I brought coconut oil for massage and I used quite a bit of that. My hands are still soft. Lol

We were able to get some washcloths and a bucket of ice water from one of the midwives and it was great to always have a cold one on hand.

I brought 4 little battery operated candles which were nice to have when we turned most of the lights off, but I'm not sure if Mom noticed them. Lol

I didn't use any of the snacks that I brought. I should've ate something on my way down there, but wasn't hungry at the time. Mom was too deep into labor to want anything to eat. I did use my water bottle.

Mom wanted lots of video/pictures so I brought my camera and tripod. I passed the camera off to Friend and she captured lots of the action. My batteries died and I almost died when I noticed the spares I brought were the wrong size, but I had spare spares which were the right size. Whew!

My most used items by far were my voice and hands!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments/thoughts!