Monday, March 17, 2014

Blessing Ways and Birth Necklaces

When I was pregnant with DS4 I was introduced to the concept of Blessing Ways. In short, a Blessing Way or "mother blessing" comes from a Navajo Tradition. Women gather together and "bless" the pregnant women. They tell her positive things about birth, give her affirmations, brush her hair, massage her feet, make a belly cast. They each bring a bead with a wish - for instance "May you be in tune with your baby and birth", "May you be surrounded by supportive people" or "May your baby be born peacefully" or even a simple "I love you, you'll do great". These beads are strung into a necklace that the woman wears when in labor. And all of the "blessings" that those beads represent are there with her.

The Birth Necklace is the thing that appealed to me most. I loved the thought that even if P (my sister) is still in AZ or D (my other sister/doula) is at work they would still be with me in spirit. I loved knowing that no matter what time it was my friends as far as Boston and Mexico would be right there supporting me.

I was on a due date group on Mothering.com and someone there arranged a birth bead swap. I didn't know these people aside from the internet and only for a couple months at this point, but I joined the swap. I wasn't sure if I would ask my family and friends to join at first because I was afraid none of them would get it. But then I got my beads from women that I barely knew and saw how fun it was to see the variety of beads and why they chose them and what blessings they had. I was touched by their thoughts and knew that beads from people I knew would be an even greater blessing.

My two sisters, two sisters-in-law and mom did have a Blessing Way of sorts for me. The six of us went up to a condo where they did a belly cast and pampered me in every way imaginable!






The next day was a baby shower where guests were asked to bring a frozen meal (perfect gift for a mom expecting her 4th boy - or any mom!) and a birth bead. I struggled to read the blessings out loud. ;)

I typed up the blessings and made a list of the "highlights" for my sister to read to me when I was in labor. I had no doubt that I could succeed with so many great women behind me.
  • think of your boys and know that it is all worth it
  • openness
  • eternal significance of birth
  • power, endurance, and peace
  • strengthen you
  • words of strength (journey, passion, dream)
  • You can do it
  • energy
  • sunlight, joy, happiness
  • stay centered and focused
  • you will be protected
  • new little boy will be healthy and strong
  • strength
  • confidence and assurance
  • when your tears fall, you will feel all the other women that have cried those same tears and you draw from their strength and be able to accomplish all that you desire
  • joy of womanhood
  • fast labor
  • love and support
  • enhanced physical strength, stability and vigor… reduced negativity and alleviated anxiety
  • beautiful natural labor and birth
  • strength
  • your body opening up, fresh, beautiful, perfect
  • strength and beauty
  • Calm
  • a fulfilling and empowering birth
  • loved and supported
  • calming, happy thoughts
  • beautiful birth
  • perfect birth
  • a calm peace within you and those around you for the strength of an amazing birth.
  • harmony, healing, and peace
  • birth is gently, empowering and beautiful!
  • joyful birth
  • gentle, peaceful birthing
  • positive change, good health, growth and healing
The day came and I wore my "gypsy" necklace with pride. I loved everything about it, and still do!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments/thoughts!