Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Recommended Reading

One of the books that I requested from the library that wasn't on the reading list was The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times. I didn't realize until I picked it up that it is a companion to the PBS series Call The Midwife. *squeal* Knowing that Nurse Jenny Lee was a real midwife made the series all the more fascinating for me (Seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix; Season 3 airs on March 30th).

Even though I was familiar with most (if not all) of the births in the first book, I devoured it. I loved that Jenny was able to go into more detail about the history of childbirth and the practices at the time. As a self proclaimed birth junkie, this was a great fix!

As soon as I could I went to the library and got books two and three; Call the Midwife: Shadows for the Workhouse and Call the Midwife: Farewell to the East End. I was sorely disappointed that the second book contained not one birth story, but I read it quickly anyway. The third book was back to births which thrilled me. I wish that there were more books; I don't know where the stories for Season 3 are going to come from.

While I don't think these books enhanced my doula skills, they sure fed my birth obsession (and made me appreciate modern accommodations)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments/thoughts!