Saturday, May 24, 2014

Happy Birthday, DS1!

This birth story is slightly different from my others in that I wrote it from DS1's perspective. Enjoy!

Mommy thought that she was going to have me on May 15th, I, of course, knew better. I was nice and cozy in her tummy and I was in no hurry to get out. I was planning on staying with her until it was time to go to college, but somehow my water balloon got popped! When Mommy woke up on the 23rd and thought that her water had broke, she called the Dr and he told her to come on in and they would check her out. I heard Mommy talking to Daddy and he said he was going to go with her. They kept talking about having a baby. I wasn't ready, but I couldn't find the hole to plug it up!

After Mommy and Daddy went to the Doctor’s, they headed straight over to the hospital. Mommy was very excited that she was finally going to meet me. I have to admit that I was a little curious to see what she looked like too. I heard lots of voices that I have never heard before and someone told Mommy that they had to give her antibiotics because she was Strep B positive – whatever that means. Every once in a while my comfy home would get really tight. Mommy called these contractions. Apparently, they wanted MORE of them; I didn't want any of them. It’s very hard to sleep when you are being squeezed! Mommy called Grandma to let her know I was coming and Daddy called his parents and sister. I must be very popular because everyone wants to know when I’ll be here.

After Mommy was done getting her medicine, she got in a really big tub with some nice, warm water. Then she turned the bubbles on which made some noise. The warm water made it not so crampy for me, so I decided to take a nap.

Grandma got to the hospital, so Mommy got out of the tub. They put on a movie to pass the time, but I could tell that Mommy wasn't really concentrating. They finally decided to get up and take a walk. I heard somebody say that maybe I would come faster. Little did they know that I had no intentions of going anywhere!



Finally, about 3:30 a nurse came in and gave Mommy “pitocin.” I don’t know what that is, but I started getting squeezed a lot more and a lot harder. Apparently, this hurt Mommy because she started to cry whenever it happened. Maybe she felt sorry for me. At 4:15 another Doctor came in and gave Mommy something in her back. She said that she couldn't feel the contractions anymore and now she had to stay in bed. I could still feel them, though and they weren't getting any better.

Mommy and Daddy weren't doing much. I could hear them talking with Grandma and at one point Daddy left to get some dinner and then Grandma did the same. Mommy said that the epidural must be wearing off because she was starting to feel pain again. She asked the nurse to she if she was ready to push. PUSH?! They really were going to kick me out of here!

About one o’clock in the morning, there starts to be a lot more noise in the room. There is a woman’s voice that I don’t recognize that keeps telling Mommy to push when she has a contraction. The contractions are really hurting her now, but she tells Daddy that it feels better when she pushes. Daddy and Grandma are right by Mommy and Mommy laughs because whenever she pushes, they hold their breath too.

Mommy had been pushing for a long time. At 3 am, I am still struggling to stay put. Every time Mommy pushed, it pressed my head up against a bone. This doesn't feel very good and I start to turn around. I hear Mommy telling me not to do that, but I can’t help it. Mommy was getting very tired and frustrated. She really wants to hold me. She asks Daddy to give her a blessing because she is not sure if she can keep pushing. She is crying because she does not want to have a C-section. Daddy gives Mommy a nice blessing; he tells her that I will be born healthy and that we will both make it through with no problems.

After that, the contractions started to slow down and Mommy got a little break between pushes. I felt bad for making her sad, so I wasn't holding on anymore, but my head was too big. The Dr came in and said that maybe Mommy’s body was trying to tell her something. He thought that since there were no more contractions that he would have do a C-section. I was still happy where I was and Mommy wanted to keep pushing, so the Dr said that we could keep trying. Mommy pushed until 4:30 and then her and Daddy decided that they better just go in and get me. Daddy said that he felt this way since talking to the Dr, but he knew how much Mommy wanted to keep trying.


Mommy got to take a break from pushing and the nurse gave Daddy and Grandma some funny clothes to wear while they were getting me. At about 5 o’clock Mommy and me were wheeled into another room. Mommy was put on a different table and they gave her some more medicine. I heard lots of people talking. Mommy, the Dr, Daddy, Grandma, and a bunch of people that I have never heard before. Somebody kept pushing on me and before I knew it, I saw a lot of light and felt really cold. I let out a mighty cry to protest and then I heard Mommy cry too. It was 5:33 am, I heard Grandma tell Mommy that. People were touching me and warming me up and finally I got to see my Mommy for the first time. She told me how pretty and perfect I was and kissed my check. And thus started my journey in this world.




That’s me! May 24th 2002

You can read DS2's birth story here, and DS3's here. Stay tuned for DS4's birth story!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments/thoughts!